suited J-10 vs. unsuited J-Q

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
twinklesthedog
Forum Rookie

suited J-10 vs. unsuited J-Q

Post by twinklesthedog »

I am playing video poker for winners, and from what I can tell suited J-10 is superior to unsuited J-Q sometimes, and sometimes unsuited J-Q is superior to suited J-10.

When I say unsuited J-Q, it might be unsuited J-K. But the point is, it seems to random whether the suited J-10 or the unsuited J-Q/J-K/J-A is superior. I figure that there must be a subtlety that I can't figure out. And I cannot find an answer.

Anybody know what the subtlety is that I am missing, or can you confirm that the right answer is random?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

On all but the most recreational strategies, you have to factor in penalty cards. Penalty cards are cards in your original hand that might help make a straight or a flush but which you intend to discard.
QH, JS, 9S, 5C, 3H.
By tossing away the last three cards, you lessen the possiblity of drawing a straight as one of the cards needed is no longer in the remaining pack.
The cards that you discard often change the value of the possible hands you will end up with. Can one or more of the cards you discard be helpful in building a hand?
Anytime you keep two unsuited high cards, you 100% eliminate any possibility of a flush, as one example. Keeping a pair of low cards eliminates any possibility of a flush or a straight.
Some cards are utterly useless in making a hand and can be discarded with no harm. Other cards- any low card that makes three of a suit ,or a card that is within the required straight range, and many others come with a built in penalty. Discarding them hurts the remaining pack. Thus the term penalty card.
Bob Dancer teaches about the Power of The Pack.
Depending on your discards, the Power of The Pack increases or decrease.
Take a hand with Jack-Queen of Diamonds. Throwing away the Four of Diamonds in the discard is correct, but weakens the possibility of drawing three more Diamonds for a flush as there is one Diamond already discarded.
Keep an unsuited J/Q but throw away a Nine and you've lessened the chances of drawing a Straight for the same reason.
Video Poker strategy is never random.

twinklesthedog
Forum Rookie

Post by twinklesthedog »

I think I understand what you are telling me. I will try to factor those penalty cards into my decision and see if I can start getting it right consistently.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I hope someone comes along and explains it better, but that's the gist of it.
The cards you discard have a small influence on what you might end up with.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

hey twinkles don't go by feel go by real,do as the computer says highest EV.

twinklesthedog
Forum Rookie

Post by twinklesthedog »

Advantage, I am working hard at learning it. My wife says that we could have paid for a lot of suites for what it cost me to get diamond last year :-) Hoping to reduce that this year.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

You've come to the right place. Lots of people willing to help. Some actually even know what they are doing.

twinklesthedog
Forum Rookie

Post by twinklesthedog »

Ok, I thought that I was getting what billryan explained, and then I got this hand:
2s,Js,10s,5h,Ac
I thought that since 2s was a penalty card, so the Js,10s was the wrong choice, and that Js,Ac was the right choice.
But the program told me that Js,10s was the right choice, notwithstanding the penalty card. What did I miss?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

What experience level are you playing at?

twinklesthedog
Forum Rookie

Post by twinklesthedog »

I started at beginner and moved up to intermediate (I am using the test feature to keep track of my progress). That seems to be the level at which these 10,J vs J,QKA combos start to show up and I struggle. Is it because the A is to far away from the J, and it only works with J,Q or J,K? That seems to the new pattern that I am noticing.