I am confused again

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
twinklesthedog
Forum Rookie

I am confused again

Post by twinklesthedog »

I am playing the Video Poker for Winners game, in Strategy mode, 8-5 pay table.

My hand was:

10s,4c,Kd,2h,Js

I am studying the strategy card 3 basic 9/5 and 8/5. On that card suited 10J is above KH. So, I selected 10J, but the program told me that KJ was the correct choice. So, I selected analyze hand.

Two charts came up. One (analyze hand detail) showed 10s,Js ahead of Kd,Js. The other chart (JOB strategy) showed Kd,Js ahead of 10s,Js.

What am I missing?

I have Screen shot but I don't know how to attach it.

Katch
Forum Rookie

Post by Katch »

JTss is correct for 9/6 JOB (when there is no flush penalty). I can't say for the lower payables since I've never practiced them (won't play them). Hopefully someone else will chime in.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

You are still only playing for practice, right?
My suggestion is to follow the analyzer and as time goes on, you should pick up much of the logic behind hands that aren't self explanatory.
You are practicing for a marathon, not a sprint.

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

You said you're playing in strategy mode, so the software is preferring the play on the strategy chart which is KJ.The strategy chart is a low cost simplification of the computer-perfect strategy. It should tell you what the cost is at the top.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I lack the software. What's the difference whether one plays strategy or analyzer? I'd take the two face cards myself.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Gronbog is correct. You may play "perfect" or "strategy." In 8/5 JoB (you say 8/5 but not the game type), KJ is preferred to a suited JT on average. The perfect strategy is that you prefer JT if there is no flush penalty, or 9, or 8. In this particular case, JT is the correct play because none of these penalties are present. The "strategy" play is "correct" assuming an average of all possible 4th and 5th cards. The "perfect" play is correct with the actual 4th and 5th card.Very few players play 8/5 JoB perfectly. If they were smart enough to know the intricacies, they'd be smart enough not to play a game where the house has a 2.7% edge against them.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Brutal table. I'd really be under water.