two pair vs four of a kind?

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

two pair vs four of a kind?

Post by stevel96a1 »

or should i ask no luck vs alot of luck? what has more value if the 2 pair pays double before or after a 4oak comes along?im starting to think the two pair is stronger than a 4oak because it shows up more often and afer 400 rounds or so you would have fare better off with a 2 pair paying doubleeveryone knows the pair makes or breaks the game if it being a high variance game or low

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

This is why I always break up a dealt 4 of a kind... you have a shot at a 2 pair OR a full house that you don't have keeping those 4 silly same cards.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

You can actually view how much a 2 pair contributes to a game vs a 4 of a kind (or any other win type) in most VP software like VPW.You are correct...In 9/6 Jacks or Better for instance, 4 of a kinds contribute 5.9% of the return.2 pair contributes 25.8% of the return (almost 5 times as much!)I'm not sure what you are getting at, if this should affect the way you play etc. This fact is part of what a mathematical strategy takes into consideration.

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

but my simulations on Wolf video poker show that game where the two pair never breaks the 25k highest credit barrier, in any HIGH ping spike jump of credits meaning it can start off the bat and go as high as 25k or lose -12k and come out ahead +12k these are chops of 250k-1mil handsbut the games with games that 2 pair pay even money show it can blow through the 25k barrier i seen it upwards of 40k+  in chops of 250k-1mil hands

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

but i know in real life more times than not i can get stung bad by not getting the 4oaks and should have just played  a game with a two pair pay double the money

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I'm not really following this at all. Can't you play a game where two pair pays two for one and still get 4aoks?

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

i can im asking if i dont get a 4oak by the 400th hand i was better  off playing a game with a pair pay double?

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

How many hands you've played today --- with or without a quad --- has nothing to do with what the correct play is. You need to make your one-pair-or-two decision BEFORE you know whether a quad is coming this particular time.In most games holding two pair (other than aces up) is superior to holding just one of the pairs.Wolf vp is a fine piece of software --- as is VPW. They will each tell you how to play the hands. Following their suggested plays will work better in the long run than deviating from those plays.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I'm not entirely sure what the poster is getting at, but I hope all of us by now know that what we are going to get on any given hand has nothing to do with what came out on the previous hand. I have gone 8 hours on job without a quad and other times have hit quads back to back or even 5 or 6 quads in an hour. You just never know. Other wacky examples I have had in job are 5 full houses back to back in job and a straight flush followed by a Royal on the following hand. Most of us are probably by nature somewhat superstitious when playing and if not careful, we can make bad decisions. Been there done that more than once.

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

im just trying to figure out if playing a game where the pair pays double vs a game where four of a kind pays extra but get jipped on the pair?suppose i play 425 hands and no 4oak show. but plenty of 2 pairs, does that mean i was better off with a jacks or better or bonus poker type of game? if i do not get the 4oak im starting to think more about the 2 pair, however my sims show the most variance games can yield 25-35k credits in chops of 250k hands but i feel lucky to  see my sim produce 14k credits highest peak in bonos poker or jacks or better