The absurdity of mythical video poker "payback"

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: The absurdity of mythical video poker "payback"

Post by FloridaPhil »

case wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:18 pm
However you say silly things like most people can't beat positive games over time...and that is wrong.
You are correct, I do not believe "most" people can beat VP over time. Do I believe some people can and do? Yes.

The problem I have is some members of this forum make it seem easy. It takes a lot of things in order for this to happen consistently. Having access to positive VP games is first on the list. If you live in Vegas, you probably think these games are common. It's easy to add in your comps and come up with a positive game. That is far from common in the rest of the country. Secondly, you must have an adequate bankroll and be willing to use it. If you are going to play quarter VP, that means having at least $3-$5K sitting somewhere waiting to be played. "Most" people don't have 20% of that. Thirdly, you must be able to play 100% computer perfect forever. This is a lot easier said than done. Forth, you must have disposable time to invest in the game. "Most" people have jobs and families. They can't invest enough time in the game so the odds have an affect their results. Finally, you must have the discipline to stick with a plan even when it seems to be fighting you. The stone cold fact is, "Most" people lose money playing VP.

If you can make money playing VP, I congratulate you. That's not the normal VP experience that "most" people have.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:31 am
[
The problem I have is some members of this forum make it seem easy. It takes a lot of things in order for this to happen consistently.
Anything I've read suggests that considerable effort is required to search out and exploit opportunities. No one says it's easy.

pokerforme

Post by pokerforme »

But it’s easy to troll a forum for years. One big example comes to mind.

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:31 am
case wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:18 pm
However you say silly things like most people can't beat positive games over time...and that is wrong.
You are correct, I do not believe "most" people can beat VP over time. Do I believe some people can and do? Yes.

The problem I have is some members of this forum make it seem easy. It takes a lot of things in order for this to happen consistently. Having access to positive VP games is first on the list. If you live in Vegas, you probably think these games are common. It's easy to add in your comps and come up with a positive game. That is far from common in the rest of the country. Secondly, you must have an adequate bankroll and be willing to use it. If you are going to play quarter VP, that means having at least $3-$5K sitting somewhere waiting to be played. "Most" people don't have 20% of that. Thirdly, you must be able to play 100% computer perfect forever. This is a lot easier said than done. Forth, you must have disposable time to invest in the game. "Most" people have jobs and families. They can't invest enough time in the game so the odds have an affect their results. Finally, you must have the discipline to stick with a plan even when it seems to be fighting you. The stone cold fact is, "Most" people lose money playing VP.

If you can make money playing VP, I congratulate you. That's not the normal VP experience that "most" people have.

Phil your post really upsets me. The reason it upsets me is because you quoted me but left out one of the words.....and a key word it is. The word you left out of my quote was the word POSITIVE.

I said you believe most people can't beat POSITIVE games over time. So you conveniently misquote me and make it sound like I said most people can beat VP and then go on a long speech about how most people can't win yada, yada, yada!. Of course most people can't beat VP BECAUSE they play negative games. I was not talking about this. My point was serious players learn the game and play in advantage situations and can and do win. I did not say all players win but MOST AP's do or they would not last long.

If you are going to argue your point and quote me DON'T leave out the key word to slant the argument in your favor.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Case that would be akin to you saying something like: tall men look funny in light blue suits, and Phil then saying: I agree that tall men look funny in blue suits.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

case wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:32 pm
Phil your post really upsets me. The reason it upsets me is because you quoted me but left out one of the words.....and a key word it is. The word you left out of my quote was the word POSITIVE.
I am sorry I upset you. You are right. When you play positive VP games you have the "potential" to make a profit. This assumes the player plays like a computer, has an adequate bankroll for the denomination and the discipline to stay with the strategy for as long as it takes.

This is where the train goes off the tracks. A deficiency in any one of these factors can turn a positive game negative. Ask our expert what percentage of all the VP players in America make a profit? Then come back and tell us what you think of your chances.