APDW Strategy

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
min_2_max
Forum Newbie

APDW Strategy

Post by min_2_max »

Has anyone analyzed the strategy for APDW 15/11/4/4?I am confused by this section of 0 'deuces' from VPW software.

SF3 1i '345', '457'-'9TQ'

ST4 0i 4567-TJQK

SF3 1i '456', '467'-'9JQ'; 2i '346'-'356', '347'-'9QK'

Specifically, why is SF3 1i '9TQ' higher than SF3 1i '9JQ'? I tried to list out the two card combinations that help each. It seems to me that they are equivalent when analyzing the two hands.  Futhermore, when I select these two card combinations xx'9TW' and 'xx9JQ'  and analyze the EV, they are equivalent in VPW.  I am guessing now it has to do with average EV calculations over a range.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

The reason for the difference is 'QT9' 87, where the correct play is 'QT9'. This is one of the two types of open-ended straight you can get in the same five cards including 'QT9' --- the other including an off-suit jack.The only 4-card straight open-ended straight you can get from 'QJ9' includes an off-suit ten, where you always go for the straight the straight.  On average, 'QT9' is better than the straight. If you wish to construct a penalty card rule for when 'QT9' is better than a straight and when it isn't, go ahead.all the time, 'QJ9' is worse than the straight.Does this help?

min_2_max
Forum Newbie

Post by min_2_max »

That helps. I was not focusing on the non-held cards in analyzing the strategy valuations. The penalty card makes sense in those very close EV calls.

Thank you for your insights.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

You are welcome.Welcome to the forum