Ultimate X DDB dealt AAA33, how to hold?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
sza
Forum Newbie

Ultimate X DDB dealt AAA33, how to hold?

Post by sza »

AAA33, keep 3 aces as regular DDB or full house to get 12x multiplier for next hands?

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

It depends … on the pay schedule … whether you are playing single line, 3-play, 5-play, or 10-play … and the sum of the multipliers currently on the screen.

I believe I worked this out some time ago for 10-play DDB 9-6. Making certain that you count any hand without a multiplier as 1x, if the sum of the current multipliers is 23 or more, holding the 3 aces is better for EV, when considering future play as well as the current hand. With a sum of 10 to 22, hold the full house and take your chances with all the NEXT HAND 12x multipliers. Some like a rule that works for all multipliers (though if you can recall the cutoff of 23, this shouldn't be an issue). In that case, always hold the full house.

If I recall correctly, if the pair was something other than 2s, 3s, or 4s (e.g., AAAKK), you want to hold the three aces with a multiplier sum of 20 or more and hold the full house if the sum is from 10 to 19. Here the single rule independent of the multiplier sum is hold only the 3 aces by a very tiny margin.

I'm not sure if it is obvious why there is a difference in cutoffs. Just in case it isn't, with AAAKK, holding 3 aces is more valuable because there are more kickers in the deck for the times when you catch the 4th ace.

paco13
VP Veteran

Post by paco13 »

This is the stuff I like. Good info.

rsactuary
Forum Regular

Post by rsactuary »

If you have an Android device, you can buy the Perfect Ult-X app and test this out. (worth every penny)

If you don't have an Android device (like me) you can download the blue stacks app to your PC and use that as an Android operating system to make it work.

paco13
VP Veteran

Post by paco13 »

Thanks for the tip.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

rsactuary wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 pm
If you have an Android device, you can buy the Perfect Ult-X app and test this out. (worth every penny)

If you don't have an Android device (like me) you can download the blue stacks app to your PC and use that as an Android operating system to make it work.
Interesting. But I'd rather be cheap and get the multiplier independent estimate from the Wizard's Hand Analyzer using the following formula:

Adjusted UX Payout for VP calculators = 2 x Base Payout + Multiplier Awarded for Next Hand - 1.