Need help with "Hold Odds"

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
R...G...
Forum Newbie

Need help with "Hold Odds"

Post by R...G... »

Hi All.
Trying to figure this out.
If I walk up to a 9/6 Jacks or Better machine insert my five credits and hit the deal button I will be
facing the odds on the chart below.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... ations.jpg
Then I hold the card or cards (According to strategy for 9/6 Jacks or Better) and hit the draw button.
Now the reason for the post. The chart below does not have the hold odds for:
Three of a kind
Two pair
Jacks or better pair
None paying pair
Nothing hand
Does anyone know what the hold odds are. Is there even a way to figure what they would be.
Thanks.
The link below is the hand odds chart.
http://www.videopokerinfo.com/handodds.htm

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

What do you mean by "hold odds"? Are you looking for the odds of improving a held hand to something better, i.e., converting three of a kind to a full house or quads, etc.?

RRGC
Forum Newbie

Post by RRGC »

Yes, I was just curious.

michaelc2323
Forum Newbie

Post by michaelc2323 »

I would check out the Wizard of Odds, he's amazing and normally has that kind of stuff charted out. You can google his name and his page will pop up.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

Sorry, I was a bit slow getting back to this one. I'm not so sure that the Wizard of Odds site provides the information in the form of odds of completing a hand, but I could easily be wrong on that point. The VPW and WinPoker software doesn't provide it directly either, but the hand analysis results make it easy to calculate the odds of making the hand.

I have a really, really old book called Common Sense in Poker that has a chart that shows exactly the information being looked for here. It was written for live poker, long before video poker was invented, but the hold odds are, nevertheless, valid for video poker.

Yatita
Forum Rookie

Post by Yatita »

Thanks, Onemoretry...
It's no big deal, I was just wondering.
I was on the wife's computer when I checked the post.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

one more try,was that by Irwin stieg?? if yes I still have the original copy.it was my first poker book.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

next book was poker for fun and profit also by Irwin stieg.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

advantage playe wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:13 am
one more try,was that by Irwin stieg?? if yes I still have the original copy.it was my first poker book.
Yes, that's the one. The book itself is quite ancient, with a copyright date of 1963, but the math hasn't changed. Other than to say it was a long, long time ago, I don't know exactly when I bought it. As to why I bought it - I guess I thought reading it would improve my results in my "Thursday nights with the boys" games.