offering a solution...

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
notes1
Video Poker Master

offering a solution...

Post by notes1 »

i have no problem when one quotes scripture, but rather when they try to interpret it.

regarding offering a solution. there is one poster, who seems determined to start new topics, with the sole purpose of pointing out a problem (that he sees), and hoping to invoke a response from anyone. within the last month, he has tried this 5 times.

why not try something different. if he is so insightful, why not offer a solution along with identifying a problem. instead of just endless complaints, tell all of us how you would fix it.

but, you can expect a lot of criticism, because each solution for one problem is likely to offend or impede upon someone else.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

This is the problem, and why I think we may need some time off from political discussions altogether. The current political climate and commentary in this country is increasingly hostile.

We can all turn on the news every day and learn about all of these subjects. There is no information gained, no lessons learned, and the "discussions" really haven't been discussions at all.

Coming here just to express how pissed off you are about the world doesn't add any value to the forum.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Are we judging posts by their value to the forum now?

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

i do not believe the problem is too much discussion, because the alternative is restricted speech/opinions. who decides what speech to restrict?

what we must demand is that when one complains, they should offer a solution or admit they have none. if one hears a viewpoint/solution from someone with a different perspective, one might learn something. when one offers a solution, they just might have to consider both sides of any problem.

if someone just wants to rant and offer no alternative, the best thing to do is not respond, pay no attention to them.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

"if someone just wants to rant and offer no alternative, the best thing to do is not respond, pay no attention to them"

Strong, solid advice.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

billryan wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:00 am
This post is single coin nickels, but there is a good promotion running which saves it.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Double plus good. With a twist.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Webman wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:02 pm
billryan wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:00 am
This post is single coin nickels, but there is a good promotion running which saves it.

Hated it.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

Notes1 posted " have no problem when one quotes scripture, but rather when they try to interpret it".....

What is your problem with "interpreting" scripture? What's the point, or value in even reading or quoting from God's word the Bible if you are not going to try to figure out how it applies to life, or what value or benefit it offers? Stands to reason God gave us the Bible to USE, not just sit on a shelf and collect dust.

Do You honestly think the 10 commandments are that nebulous and vague that "interpretation" is needed? Or how about the two primary, most important commandments that Christ gave to all Christians, namely that "You must love God with your whole heart and soul, and you must love your neighbor as yourself." Christ further explained, very simply that the original 10 commandments were based on these TWO commandments that he subsequently gave (Love of God and love of other people.) That's pretty clear and obvious.....(Matthew 22:37-40; see also Luke 10:27-30)

WHat's there to interpret?

I wasn't going to publicly share this but now I will: I told webman I will NOT initiate or create any further posts about religion or politics, and will only respond or engage with OTHER posts initiated or created by others (like this above one by Notes1)

I'll never understand what it is about some people who CLAIM to be Christian yet cannot stand or abide ANY discussion or dialogue about the Bible or Christ or religion etc. Makes ZERO sense....getting offended or upset is a CHOICE; there is no reason whatsoever that people cannot discuss, and even disagree about ANY topic including religion and still maintain respect and cordiality. Again, people CHOOSE to be offended and upset by others' opinions, beliefs, feelings etc.